NEWPORT-The comment period to the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation concerning the proposed US Nitrogen Plant in Greene County has been extended 30 days.State Rep. Jeremy Faison confirmed that TDEC officials met Wednesday in Nashville and decided to extend the comment period, which was supposed to end at midnight tonight.Reportedly, the US Nitrogen plant is being established to manufacture liquid ammonium nitrate (known as ANSOL, or ANS). According to a report in the Greeneville Sun, US Nitrogen and Austin Powder officials have consistently stated that the Midway operation, which was given a basic "green light" by the Greene County Commission in February 2011, will be safe and environmentally sound-and will, in fact, exceed required legal and regulatory safety standards.For more details, please see the Thursday edition of the Newport Plain Talk.
Sign up for E-Alerts
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
- NCDOT expects I-40 west open tonight after rockslide
- Police Reports - June 8
- Impaired driver charged following accident
- 10 years later, still no closure for the Maxwell family
- Celebrating Cosby series begins June 14
- Michigan woman charged with child abuse
- Sheriff Reports - June 8
- Hard Times Street Rod Club readies for 36th annual event
- Finance committee talks investing in county
- Police Reports - June 11
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
Find a local business