NEWPORT—Cocke County residents who travel by air need to take notice.
Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, in order to board an commercial aircraft, passengers must have a Real ID license. The same goes for those planning to enter a military installation, a federal building, or a nuclear facility.
The new requirement comes as a result of the REAL ID Act of 2005 which established minimum security standards for license issuance and production and prohibits Federal agencies from accepting for certain purposes and identification cards from states not meeting the Act’s minimum standards.
The new driver’s licenses, issued by the office of Cocke County Clerk Jan Brockwell, are very similar in appearance to current licenses with the exception of having a gold circle with a star in the upper right corder to indicate it is REAL ID compliant.
Anyone planning to get such a license must present the following upon application:
I) One of the following acceptable documents for U.S. citizenship or Legal Presence:
1) An American (USA) birth certificate issue by a State Office or Vital Statistics or equivalent with a raised seal and/or color seal
2) A valid, unexpired U.S. Passport or Passport Card
3) A Certificate of Citizenship
4) A certificate of Naturalization
5) A Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card issued by DHS or INS
6) An Unexpired foreign passport WITH valid U.S. visa AND approved I-94 form
7) An Unexpired Employment Authorization Document issued by Department of Homeland Security
Applicants must also provide ONE of the following “Acceptable Proofs of FULL Social Security Number and Name
1) An Original Social Security Card (metal cards are NOT acceptable)
2) A Payroll check stub
3) A W.2 form for the current tax year or dated within the last twelve (12) months
4) A 1099 Form for the current tax year or dated within the last twelve (12) months
Finally, applicants must present TWO (2) of the following acceptable proofs of Tennessee residency:
1) Home utility bill dated within the last four (4) months (may be gas, electric, water, etc: online bills MUST have a URL address displayed; wireless phone plans CANNOT be accepted
2) A Current Tennessee vehicle registration or Certificate of Title (may only use one or the other but not both)
3) A Current Voter Registration Card
4) A Bank Statement (dated with the last four (4) months
5) A Current rental/mortgage contract or receipt, deed of sale for property; handwritten rental contracts or agreements MUST be notarized
6) A Current homeowner, renter, auto, health or life insurance policy
7) A Current Tennessee Driver License or Identification Only credential or Concealed Handgun Carry Permit held by the applicant or the parent, spouse, or legal guardian of the applicant
8) Installment loans such as automobile, student loan, or bank loan